The painting was commissioned by Gustav Adolf Count von Ingenheim. It was finished at the Roman atelier of Johann Martin von Rohden in 1820. From 1880s it was exhibited in the family residence in Reisewitz. As a result of the split the painting became a property of Rudolf Count von Ingenheim. In 1931 it was subjected to conservation evaluation at Schlesisches Museum der bildenden Künste, where it was probably deposited later. In 1942 it was transported to the collecting point in Kamenz. In 1945 it was retrieved to the National Museum in Warsaw, where it was put into inventory books with a wrong attribution to J. A. Koch. It was donated to Berlin’s Nationalgalerie in 1954 as Freundschaftsgeschenk (a gift of friendship to the people of Germany), where it remains until present day.
Nationalgalerie. Berlin. Das XIX. Jahrhundert. Katalog der ausgestellten Werke, ed. Angelika Wesenberg, Eve Forschl, Berlin 2002, p. 347
- Magdalena Palica