Companion piece to the paintings in museum in Berlin and Cracow.
The two cassoni were made in the occasion of a marriage in Medici family. The painting was probably a part of the collection of Edward Solly until 1821, when the whole collection was acquired by king Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia. After splitting the collection between the children of Gustav Adolf von Ingenheim, the painting was given to Jules von Ingeheim. Later it was inherited by Jules’s daughter Elisabeth Mikusch von Buchberg (Hirschberg). Around 1916 the paintings were acquired by art dealer Friedrich Lippmann. In 1917 the cassoni passed to Eduard Simon collection and as part of it came into the Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum in the same year.
Hannelore Nützmann, Verschlüsselt in Details: Hochzeitsbilder für Lorenzo de' Medici, „Jahrbuch Preussischer Kulturbesitz“, 34 (1998), p. 223-235
- Magdalena Palica