The painting originally belonged to the predella af an altarpiece.
The painting was probably acquired by Gustav Adolf von Ingenheim during his journeys to Italy. Around 1870 the painting was moved to new family residence in Reisewitz. Sold to A. S. Drey, New York in 1920s; Marcel von Nemes, Munich; Kurt Walter Bachstitz Gallery, The Hague and New York (by 1925); Edith A. and Percy S. Strauss, New york, gift of Edith A. and Percy S. Strauss to the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston in 1945.
Carolyn C. Wilson, Italian Paintings XIV-XVI Centuries in the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Houston 1996, p. 130-145
- Magdalena Palica