Articles

The foundational stained glass of the duke of Oels (Oleśnica)

Author: Beata Fekecz-Tomaszewska (Muzeum Architektury we Wrocławiu) (02 / 03 / 2010)

In the rich fund of Architecture Museum in Wroclaw, of particular importance is a small collection, including only over a dozen pieces, of early modern glasses painted in enamel technique and cabinet stained glasses from the 16th and 17th century, whose provenance is mostly Swiss or South-German. Among a few objects, whose provenance may be Silesian, particular attention requires a cabinet stained glass from 1597, with the Oels (Oleśnica) coat of arms.

The Hague in Kamieniec Ząbkowicki or a few words on a cycle of Dutch vedutas from the Palace of Kamieniec

Author: dr hab. Andrzej Kozieł (17 / 03 / 2010)

Our knowledge of the former mobile interior decor of the palace in Kamieniec Zabkowicki is inversely proportional to the knowledge about the architecture of this masterpiece of the European neo-Gothic period. While the circumstances of its origin, the history of its construction and the genesis of the architectonic form of the palace, designed in 1838 by Karl Friedrich Schinkel for the Princess Marianne of the Netherlands (Princess of Orange-Nassau), have had numerous and in-depth monographs, the only information about the former interior furnishings of the residence of Kamieniec are a few prewar photographs and a short report by Günther Grundmann, included in a volume of his memoirs from 1972. He recalls Renaissance furniture decorating the interiors and classicistic furnishings manufactured according to Schinkel’s design. The walls of the palace were decorated with views of Berlin and the Hague and with numerous portraits of the princes from Orange-Nassau and Hohenzollern dynasties painted by Friedrich Bury, Karl Begas and Franz Krüger.

The Bishop Heinrich Förster’s collection of paintings

Author: dr Joanna Lubos-Kozieł (12 / 04 / 2010)

The Wroclaw’s Bishop Heinrich Förster (1799-1881), who held his office between 1853 and 1881, was the most illustrious patron of painting and sacred art, who had ever operated in Silesia within the 19th century.

“Portrait of Ludwig Simon” by Carl Philipp Fohr – a history of one drawing

Author: Magdalena Palica (26 / 08 / 2010)

The masterly drawing by a notable Nazarene painter Carl Philipp Fohr was transferred, a few years after its execution, to Silesia, where the eyes of at least five generations of painters and collectors delighted in looking at it.

Portrait of Emperor Ferdinand III Habsburg from the Regional Museum in Jawor (Jauer in German)

Author: Arkadiusz Muła (06 / 01 / 2011)

The presented portrait in an oval form originates from the former Heimatmuseum (that existed before the World War II) in Jawor (Jauer). At that time it was regarded as an image of an unknown “Silesian Duke”. Such a record had been cited by an author of the museum’s register of items which was being listed since the 1920s. The latest research has proved that the presented artwork is one of the most interesting in Silesian art, well preserved images of Emperor Ferdinand III (1608-1657).

The 16th Century Graphic Art Collection of the Wrocław's patrician Jacob Rehdiger

Author: dr Aleksandra Lipińska (28 / 03 / 2011)

The collection in the Wrocław's University Library, the one which had followed the first libraries opened to the public in our town and the rich Silesian collections and monasterial libraries, is an inexhaustible source of interesting research topics. The losses caused by war and dispersal within the years after the war contributed to many knowledge gaps in the point of that collection. The foregoing article, dedicated to the collection of Netherlandish Graphic Art owned by the Wrocław's patrician Jacob Rehdiger, which in excerpt is currently housed in the Old Prints' Department of the Wrocław's University Library, shall attempt to fill one of these gaps.

Oil Painting “Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary”, in the Museum of Nysa – an Attempt of Attribution

Author: Ewelina Kwiatkowska (Muzeum w Nysie) (15 / 10 / 2012)

The oil sketch housed in the Museum of Nysa, for the Sebastiano Ricci’s „Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary”, for many years regarded as a work by an Italian artist Gasparo Diziani (1689-1767), in the light of the latest research has turned to be a 19th century copy (fig. 1). The mentioned painting by an unknown author formerly belonged to the collection of count Eloi Matuschka von Toppolczan in Biechów. It was transferred to the Museum of Nysa in 1945, after the Second World War.

Botticelli in Rysiowice

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

On 22nd of August 1929 in his letter to Joseph Duveen about some paintings from the counts von Ingenheim’s collection Bernard Berenson wrote „Even the poor photograph suffices to assure me beyond all question that the two panels are by none less than Masolino. As he was Masaccio’s master you were right in seeing resemblance to your Madonna by the latter. Do your darndest to get this Masolino".

The Villa Ingenheim in Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg)

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

Today, two buildings in Germany carry the usual name “Villa Ingenheim”, one of them is located in Potsdam, at the riverside, the other in Wiesbaden. Both are directly linked to the most important aristocratic family figure, who had lent them his own name, i.e. to the artworks' collector Gustav Adolph von Ingenheim (more about him in the article “Botticelli in Rysiowice”). The same name should be referred to the building erected by the end of the 19th century in Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg in German), at crossroads of the former Stonsdorferstraße (presently ul. Mickiewicza) and the Wilhelmstraße (presently ul. Wojska Polskiego).

The Collection of Matuschka Family in Bechau

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

The creation of the collection in Bechau was the initiative of count Eloi Matuschka von Toppolczan, who in 1856 inherited an estate near Neisse from his aunt Antoinette von Montbach. Because of the fire which had consumed the palace together with its outbuildings and the church two years earlier, the count decided to erect a new residence.

6000 artworks - Ismar Littmann's collection

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

Ismar Littmann was born in 1878 in Groß-Strehlitz (presently Strzelce Opolskie). In 1902 he passed the doctoral exam in law, four years later he settled in Wroclaw, where he opened a solicitor-notarial office in the Schweidnitzer-Straße (presently ul. Świdnicka). Littmann’s fondness of collecting artworks appeared probably fifteen years after he had settled in the city.

The Portrait Gallery in Bad Warmbrunn

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

In 1784 Johann Nepomuk von Schaffgotsch commissioned the construction of the new family residence in Bad Warmbrunn (today's Cieplice). Four years later the building was finished and it was possible to start decorating its interiors. This impressive, three-story palace with three wings and spacious rooms, allowed the Schaffgotsch family to properly arrange a portrait gallery – an essential element of a nobleman's residence.

Alexander Minutoli’s collection

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

Alexander Minutoli, coming from a family of art collectors, revealed his interest in art objects as early as in his early youth, when he authored professional publications, e.g. an inventory of medieval monuments of Brandenburg (1836). For his research projects he acquired interest and financial support of Friedrich Wilhelm IV and Karl Friedrich Schinkel, both of whom Minutoli stayed in contact with for years, reporting the status of his ever new successive undertakings.

Leo Lewin's Collection

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

Leo Lewin, born in 1881, was the oldest of six children of Carl Lewin, a well-known producer and wholesaler of textile wares of Breslau. The company “C. Lewin”, established by Leo’s father, initially produced menswear. Its success was the result of expanding the assortment so that it included work and protective clothing, as well as horse blankets and rugs all of which were mass-produced. The citizens of Breslau could buy the standard products at Lewin’s company shop in Gartenstrasse 7 (today ul. Piłsudskiego).

The Collection of Carl Sachs

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

Born in Jauer (today’s Jawor), Carl Sachs was one of the first grand art collectors of Breslau’s Jewish community. His first professional experience came from working for his uncle’s trade company in Landeshut (today’s Kamienna Góra). After the uncle’s death Carl Sachs moved to Breslau and started a haberdashery trade business.

From Delacroix to van Gogh - Max Silberberg's collection

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

If an average Wroclaw's citizen, interested in culture, had been asked, in the third decade of the 20th century, where to find in Wroclaw, the most significant private collection of artworks, they would surely have no doubt about it. They would have mentioned a villa that raised at the border of South Park and belonged to a wealthy Jewish entrepreneur Max Silberberg.

Project co-financed by Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under Government Project – Civic Benefit Fund.
All information published under license: Creative Commons