Jawor (Jauer) – Strzegom (Striegau) – Wałbrzych (Waldenburg)
We recommend beginning our excursion with a visit in Regional Museum of Jawor (Jauer in German). The museum has been housing recently a part of a painting by Michael Willmann, which adorned till 1945 the palace chapel in Luboradz (information on the museum's availability at the homepage www.muzeumjawor.pl). Luboradz (Lobris) and Jawor (Jauer) were owned by a notable family von Nostitz. Their both residences housed rich amounts of artworks and other rarites. In the caslte library of Jawor (currently serving as a dwelling house) anamorfic paintings were available to see (the paintings on metal pipes were distorted, their reflections had to be watched in mirrors, only in that condition they had the right proportions), as well as other optic trifles (e.g. perspective cases equipped in mirrors). In Luboradz (private property) was a large gallery of paintings (more than 200 pictures, among them portraits of the Nostitz family and representatives of the ruling families, as well as depictions of manors owned by the Nostitz family) and a precious collection of European prints (mainly by Dürer, Rembrandt, Altdorfer). Among the most admired canvas paintings were the compositions by Willmann, mainly the famous "Liberation of Andromeda” currently in National Gallery (Národní galerie) of Prague.
Pokaż na większej mapie
As next stop we recommend visiting the palace in Morawa (Muhrau). It was erected on the order of the family von Kramsta in 1864 (the current owner of the building is the Foundation of St. Avis, information on the palace available at the website www.morawa.org, the building houses a nursery school and a center of education). In the late 19th century Marie von Kramska, within her journeys in Europe, gathered numerous paintings that were located in the palace of Morawa afterwards. The newly formed gallery included mainly canvas paintings by Arnold Bocklin, Franza von Lenbach, Camille Corot, Max Gabriel and Francisco Pradilla. Also the park next to the palace is worth seeing, which is currently being restored, in order to reclaim its original appearance.
Subsequently we invite to one of the noblest Silesian castles - to Książ (Fürstenstein) that was formerly own by the Hochbergs (available to visit, information at the homepage www.ksiaz.walbrzych.pl, virtual visits available at the website www.ksiaz.ivc.pl). Its interiors testify the formal splendour of the family. The artworks, astronomical instruments, naturalistic and i numismatic collections gathered since the 17th century, were exhibited in the Kunstkammer. The Hochbergs possessed also precious tapestries and works by Italian painters (among them Bernardo Strozzi and Leonardo Coccorante). Na początku XX wieku zbiory wzbogaciły się licznymi nabytkami (np. kaplicę udekorowano pochodzącym z Włoch cyklem malowideł z historią Mojżesza).At the beginning of the 20th century the collection was expanded by numerous acquisitions (e.g. the chapel was decorated with a series of paintings brought from Italy, depicting the History of Moses). In Książ were also series of landscapes depicting the Sudety mountains, painted by a renowned Silesian painter Sebastian Carl Christian Reinhardt. They are currently available to see in the Museum of Wałbrzych (information available at the homepage www.muzeum.walbrzych.pl) which could be the last stop worth visiting on our route.
Catalogue of routes
- The great Upper-Silesian families: Ballstrem, Donnersmarck, Thiele-Winkler and Renard
- All around the Hauptmanns - Jagniątków (Agnetendorf) and Szklarska Poręba (Schreiberhau)
- The Cirque of Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg in German) - land of palaces
- To the north of Wroclaw
- To the East of Wroclaw
- Palaces in the Nysa surroundings
- Palaces in the Racibórz (Ratibor) surroundings
- Jawor (Jauer) – Strzegom (Striegau) – Wałbrzych (Waldenburg)
- A walk through Borek - collections of the Wroclaw's Jews
- From Żagań to Biedrzychowice